The rumored news of Kindle offering a lending library has come to fruition.Â Gary Price and Shirl Kennedy from INFODocket shared this post this morning and gave me permission to repost in full.Â INFODocket posts all type of in-depth industry news and reports, so check them out for more than eBooks. @INFODocket
UPDATE: Paul Biba at TeleRead has posted a breakdown of the titles (by category) currently available from the Kindle Lending Library.
The rumored Kindle eBook lending service is real and is now live. It willÂ add a new variable as libraries rethink their roles, collection building, eBook services for libraries, and many other issues.
First, some fast facts and links and then a few comments on first learning and digesting the news. As youâ€™ll see there are a number of restrictions and limitations as of today. Of course, if this initial launch is successful, this will very likely change.
Fast Facts (As of Today):
- The Kindle Lending Library is ONLY Available to Those Who Own a Kindle Device AND Subscribe to the Amazon Prime Service
- The Service is Only Available for U.S. Customers
- None of the Six Largest U.S. Publishers are Participating
- Books Can Be Read on Multiple Kindle Devices, as Long as Theyâ€™re Registered to the Same Eligible Account
- Books CANNOT Be Read on Kindle Reading Apps (Android, iOS, PC, Mac, etc.)
- One Book Can be Borrowed at a Time, and There are No Due Dates
- You Can Borrow a New Book as Frequently as Once a Month, Directly on a Registered Kindle Device, and You Will Be Prompted to Return the Book That You are Currently Borrowing
- If You Have Already Borrowed a Book in that Calendar month, You are Not Yet Eligible to Borrow a New Book Until the Next Calendar Month.Â There is No â€œRoll-Overâ€ or Accrual of Unused Borrowing Eligibility
- Bookmarks, Notes, and Highlights are All Available on Kindle Ownersâ€™ Lending Library Titles, and Will be Saved to your Amazon.com AccountÂ If You Borrow Again or Purchase the Book in the Future, Your Notes and Highlights Will be Available for You
- A Few of Titles Available at Launch Continue reading Kindle Lending Library launches with 5,000 titles