Gale/CengageÂ has collected a growing list of 18 ways to increase usage of your ebook resources.Â They are listed below.Â Or, visit the site for the full story.
How to Increase Product Usage
Here are a few “best practices” as defined by your colleagues. Many of our customers have already discovered and implemented these ideas for increasing usage of electronic resources at their institution.
- Create a website that has a link to your electronic resources on the Home page.
- Keep links to databases, eBooks, journals, and magazines no more than 1 “click” away from the Home page.
- Register for AccessMyLibrary at http://access.gale.com/mylibrary/others/index.html.
- Create pathfinders for individual databases and have them accessible next to computers.
- Organize databases by subject and offer remote access.
- Place links to interesting content directly on your Home page. Gale InfoMarks (or durable URLs) navigate users directly to interesting content or current articlesâ€”bypassing the need to find a database or conduct a search.
- Use journal cover graphics on your Home page to take the user into a periodical database.
- Load MaRC records with URLâ€™s to databases, eBooks, journals, and magazines
- Distribute product information material (user guides, search tips, etc) directly to your users.
- Use electronic databases to support curriculum through class assignments
- Integrate appropriate content into lesson plans.
- Market the library to teachers and work with them to create assignments using the product content.
- Offer library instruction and distribute product information and URLâ€™s for parents or PTA
- Make library instruction mandatory for incoming students.
- Do not allow open web resources in bibliographies or works cited pages for assignments.
- Deploy a federated search engine
- Implement a journal locator application and linking through OpenURL
Have another suggestion? Would you like to learn more about what the Customer Resource Center can do for you?
Please call 1-800-877-4253 and ask to speak with your Client Relations Specialist today!