The universe of ebooks and econtent continues to expand in every direction imaginable, showing no signs of stopping. It can be daunting for librarians and educators to keep up with the ever-evolving products, brands, and business models thrown their way by established-players in the publishing and library fields (i.e., the companies they’ve worked with for decades) and brand new players challenging the status quo and redefining what is possible with ebooks and econtent by introducing new approaches and new ways of delivering content to patrons.
NSR tries to keep up with all the challenges and possibilities by publishing articles that bring to the forefront both emerging trends and emerging issues. We also keep up what’s on the web that brings us closer to a deeper understanding. If you are looking for a place to start your research on ebooks (by starting with essays and articles available freely online), we suggest this list (compiled by NSR contributors). Please check back often as we plan to update it with new links as they become available or brought to our attention.
- A Guide to Ebook Licenses Purchase Models Purchase Models for Libraries and Publishers
- Ebook Collection Practices
- EBook Tip Sheets
- EBooks and Libraries: An Economic Perspective
- Sources of Free Ebooks Online [Free Content Alerts]
- Ebook Business Models: A Scorecard for Public Libraries
- eBooks as a Collection and a Service: Developing a Public Library Instruction Program to Support eBook Use
- If the only necessary people in the publishing process are the writer and the reader, shouldn’t libraries serve both?
- Academic Library Book Purchasing Trends
- Ebook Showdown: Evaluating Academic Ebook Platforms from a User Perspective
- Sustainability of Digital Libraries: A Conceptual Model and a Research Framework
- Key Issues Surrounding Ebook Purchasing in Academic Libraries
- Ebook Access: Business Models for Subscription Services
- Academic libraries are shrinking while content is growing. How did we get here?
- K-12 Ebook Business Models and Why You Should Care About Them
- The Four Basic Ebook Models for K-12 Libraries
- Ebook Models in K-12 Libraries —Choosing Platforms
Key Topics Explained