The universe of ebooks and econtent continues to expand in every direction imaginable, showing no signs of stopping. It can be daunting for publishers, librarians and educators to keep up with the ever-evolving products, brands, and business models thrown their way by established-players in the publishing and library fields (i.e., the companies that have been around for decades) and brand new players challenging the status quo and redefining what is possible with ebooks and econtent by introducing new approaches and new ways of delivering content to patrons.
NSR tries to keep up with the challenges and possibilities afforded to us through new technologies by publishing articles that bring to the forefront both emerging trends and emerging issues. We also keep up with all the possibilities that bring us closer to a deeper understanding of the potential of ebooks and econtent. If you are looking for a place to start your research on ebooks (and want to explore essays and articles available freely online), we suggest you begin with this list compiled by NSR editor and contributors. Please check back often since we plan to update it weekly with new links as they become available or brought to our attention. The idea here is to build a repository of free sources online that serve to expand our education and can be accessed by anyone, anywhere.
- A Guide to Ebook Licenses Purchase Models Purchase Models for Libraries and Publishers
- Ebook Collection Practices
- EBook Tip Sheets
- EBooks and Libraries: An Economic Perspective
- Sources of Free Ebooks Online [Free Content Alerts]
- Ten sites that give free access to quality ebooks librarians and publishers should know about
- Ebook Business Models: A Scorecard for Public Libraries
- eBooks as a Collection and a Service: Developing a Public Library Instruction Program to Support eBook Use
- If the only necessary people in the publishing process are the writer and the reader, shouldn’t libraries serve both?
- Academic Library Book Purchasing Trends
- Ebook Showdown: Evaluating Academic Ebook Platforms from a User Perspective
- Sustainability of Digital Libraries: A Conceptual Model and a Research Framework
- Key Issues Surrounding Ebook Purchasing in Academic Libraries
- Ebook Access: Business Models for Subscription Services
- Academic libraries are shrinking while content is growing. How did we get here?
- K-12 Ebook Business Models and Why You Should Care About Them
- The Four Basic Ebook Models for K-12 Libraries
- Ebook Models in K-12 Libraries —Choosing Platforms
- The flawed (and outdated) art of categorizing books and knowledge in digital formats
- Technology is not the death of deep reading
- Copyright Term and the Public Domain in the United State [up-to-date info]
- What Is Open Access?
- What readers want and what we are not giving them
- Is Open Access grassroots or top-down?